On December 12, 1934, the Reverend Ignacio Lopez Jr. S.J. established the congregation of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Ysleta, Texas. The congregation was approved by the late Pope Pius XII. The pastor the parish was Reverend Paul Levaine S.J. The certificate of approval was sent from Rome to our Parish and will be on display December 12, 2009.
On the day of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, a group of children dressed as Indians and Matachine dances were held during the day. The Mañanitas were sung at 5:30 in the morning followed by an evening mass. A rosary and procession was held around the church and the blessing of the Blessed Sacrament was given.
Originally, Father Lopez obtained a fireworks display called El Castillo, as it is known in Mexico. The fireworks were lit from the bottom of the Castillo and to the very top of the picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It was a beautiful scene!
On December 12, 2009, Pope Emeritus – Pope Benedict XVI recognized the Guadalupana congregation at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish and sent them a certificate thanking them for their service to the community.